
Fluffernutter? Fluff or nothing?
061906fluff A Massachusetts lawmaker wants to end the serving of Fluffernutters in schools, the Boston Globe reports today. "Outraged that his son was served peanut butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwiches at a Cambridge elementary school, state Senator Jarrett T. Barrios, a Democrat, said he will offer an amendment to a junk-food bill this week that would severely limit the serving of marshmallow spreads in school lunch programs statewide."
Yes, commenters who prefer stories about bombs and death, this story is Fluff. Although his son loves the Massachusetts-made marshmallow filling and nutrition experts say singling it out isn't necessary, the "svelte and fitness-conscious" Barrios says it must go, the Globe says.
The 80-year-old chief of the company that makes Fluff, Don Durkee, responds, "I've been eating Fluff nearly my entire life." Durkee, shown in the 1995 photo at right, has dealt with one major legal case already this year.
The paper's website packages the story with a message board -- drawing more than 120 comments already -- and a photo gallery called "Salute to Fluff." Also, Boston's CBS4 runs a pro-Fluff commentary and a viewer poll.
(Photo by Daniel Loh, AP file)
2 comments:
I was raised on Fluffernutter sandwiches. I love it today just as much as when I was a kid. I always prefered it to PB & J. When are people going to just leave things alone in this PC world.
still remember the first time the boys said, yahhh we want Fluffernutter sandwiches, thought oh my goodness...but they were great...really not that much more sugar than jam...
legistlators always trying to make a stance, but doesn't help the papers probably aren't telling the whole side of the story...
Post a Comment